I Visited Polly Cove to Compare it to the Famous Peggy's Cove

After a couple of overnight trips on my Bucket List Summer, last week I just fancied a quick day trip somewhere, so I went over to Nova Scotia to visit Peggy's Cove, and my parents joined me for the trip as well.

Peggy's Cove is an iconic spot in Nova Scotia and is a tourist magnet. Mum, Dad and I have been there before, but not for a number of years. We worked out that last time we went was on a vacation in 2006 - when I would have been 11 - a solid three years before we even lived in Canada. See, tourist magnet.

Peggy's Cove was on my list purely because of how long it had been since I last went and because it's such an iconic spot that I felt I should visit again before I leave. But I did start to wonder if it's perhaps a bit overrated.

I get a lot of my travel inspiration from Instagram - I follow a lot of Maritime-based photographers - and recently I saw a few posts of a place called Polly Cove, which looked absolutely spectacular. I quickly looked up where it was and found out that it's right next to Peggy's Cove (literally about a 30 second drive). The particular post I saw hinted that it was even better than the famous spot next door, so I wanted to see for myself.

They were absolutely right. This place is a hidden gem. Everything that I read about it - spectacular vistas, great hiking opportunities, and very few people around - turned out to be completely true, and I thought it was way better.

That's not to say I dislike Peggy's Cove. I do think it's a beautiful spot, and it's great if you do want a little touristy spot to eat some good food, browse some gift shops and enjoy a nice view. But it's exactly that: a touristy spot. It was very busy when we went - we were lucky to find a parking space - which makes it less enjoyable. Trust me, I know all about beautiful places becoming less beautiful when they're rammed full of tourists.

So if you're heading to Nova Scotia and you're looking for a unique, quiet, stunning spot to go hiking, check out Polly Cove. And since it's so close by, you might as while stop by Peggy's Cove for an ice cream while you're there.

Peggy's Cove: check.




Our 2006 trip to Peggy's Cove LOL


Comments