Jan 3: London to Amsterdam

This is going to be a quick entry as I've (according to my phone) walked over ten miles today and I'm absolutely shattered.

I'm laying in bed in Amsterdam as I write this. I flew here this morning - the flight took like 40 minutes, it was awesome - and I've been pretty much on the go all day.

After I got off the plane I took the train to Amsterdam Centraal, and from there I walked to the hostel where I'm staying, which is kind of on the other end of the city. I could have taken the tram, but for the sake of saving a bit of money and getting a bit of exercise, I decided to walk about everywhere instead. It took about 30 minutes or so to walk. I was a little early to check in so I just stopped for lunch at the cafe in the foyer of the hostel and then headed up to my room when it was ready to put my bag away.

After a brief sit down I headed to the Heineken Experience - a tour of the brewery. I thought it was awesome and loved learning all the history of the company and the brewery. There were quite a few people who didn't seem to even read any of the historical panels and seemed like they were just heading for the end to get a beer. I wondered why these people didn't just go to a bar and get a Heineken because it would have been way cheaper for them but hey ho that's none of my business.

After that, I had a bit of time to kill before my next activity so I went into a little restaurant and ordered a Nutella waffle for my dinner, oops.

This evening I'd booked a walking tour of the Red Light District. I felt safer walking around with a small group than I would have done on my own, and learned some really cool things about the history behind the area and how it all works. Obviously this was a walking tour, so I was walking around with the tour for an hour and a half, but the Red Light District is also near to the train station where I started, which meant 30 minutes there and back before and after the tour - which is why I'm so tired!

I really am sleepy so I'm going to wrap things up there and try to get to sleep. Hoping to not do quite as much walking tomorrow!




Comments

  1. So how much did you get to drink on the brewery tour? Plenty of free samples I hope.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment