I Hiked Third Vault Falls at Fundy National Park in the Pouring Rain

I had my first summer adventure on Thursday - if you can call it that, given that I went somewhere that wasn't even on my list and the weather was not at all summery.

The forecast for both of my days off was for rain, so I didn't have anything major planned. But, I couldn't let a weekend pass by without doing anything at all, so I set out for a mini adventure to somewhere relatively close to home: Fundy National Park.

I wasn't too concerned about the weather calling for showers throughout the day, because I've certainly faced worse on days I've been working. But what we received instead was a torrential downpour for most of the day, and I got absolutely soaked. (Side note: it's funny how I always say I don't trust the Weather Network and then I just go ahead and believe their forecast).

I had my eyes set on hiking the Third Vault Falls trail, because somehow, I've never hiked that trail before. The hike itself was relatively easy, and because of the weather, I basically had the entire trail to myself. Fortunately, the temperature wasn't too low, so despite getting soaking wet, I wasn't cold. I was organized enough to bring a change of clothes and all was well.

The highlight of the afternoon came once I actually got to the bottom of the trail. I was taking some photos and videos, and wanted to get a cool shot from inside one of the waterfalls using my GoPro. This required me standing in the middle of the stream to do so, where I stood on a very not-solid rock and landed sideways in the stream. The worst thing was that I had my backpack on at the time with my phone and all of my camera gear inside, so I frantically ran to the other side to make sure everything remained dry - my phone was a little bit damp but everything else was all good. Phew. Luckily for you guys my GoPro was recording at the time, so I now have video evidence of me wiping out to go along with the series of bruises I have running down my leg. Vlog is below!

I then got to hike the rest of the way back with two swimming pools inside my shoes. I think they've just about dried out enough for me to be able to wear to work again this week.

July is going to be a very busy month for me, with two overnight trips and a major bucket list item booked and ready to go. Watch this space for plenty more blogs and videos!

Third Vault Falls: check.








Comments